Back to top

Client Login

Forgot your password?

Tony’s Thoughts

Click here to go back

Avoid Sticker Shock When Getting Married

Posted by Admin Posted on June 11 2019

See the IRS Article below suggesting taxpayers check their tax withholding as part of their wedding plans.

I gotta tell ya….. I completely agree.

When taxpayers get married, what people don’t realize is that their income often doubles (or sometimes more than doubles), causing them to enter a new realm of tax bracket – and the end result is not pretty.  Even when buying a home, and the added mortgage interest and real estate taxes for less than a full year doesn’t exceed the standard deduction, the shock is even bigger.

If you’re making major life plans (marriage, home, business start-up, investing in real estate, etc.) give us a call to help you plan and avoid the “OH SH---T” scenario in April.  

IRS Tax Tip 2019-68
Taxpayers should include tax plans in their wedding plans

Couples getting married this year know there are a lot of details in planning a wedding. Along with the cake and gift registry, their first tax return as a married couple should be on their checklist. The IRS has tips and tools to help newlyweds consider how marriage may affect their taxes.

Here are five simple steps that can make filing their first tax return as newlyweds less stressful.

Step 1: Taxpayers should check their withholding at the beginning of each year, or when their personal circumstances change — like after getting married. Using the IRS Withholding Calculator is a good way for taxpayers to check their withholding. Taxpayers who need to change their withholding should complete and submit a new Form W-4, Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate, to their employer.

Step 2: Marriage may mean a change in name. If either – or both – of the newlyweds legally change their name, it’s important to report that change to the Social Security Administration. The names on the taxpayers’ tax return must match the names on file at the SSA. If it doesn’t, it could delay any refund.

Step 3: If a marriage means a change in address, the IRS and the U.S. Postal Service need to know. Newlyweds can file Form 8822, Change of Address, to update their mailing address with the IRS. They should notify the postal service to forward their mail by going online at or by visiting their local post office.

Step 4: Taxpayers who receive advance payments of the premium tax credit should report changes in circumstances to their Health Insurance Marketplace as they happen. Certain changes to household, income or family size may affect the amount of the premium tax credit. This can affect a tax refund or the amount of tax owed. Taxpayers should also notify the Marketplace when they move out of the area covered by their current Marketplace plan.

Step 5: Newlyweds should consider their filing status. A taxpayer’s marital status on December 31 determines whether they’re considered married for that full year. Generally, the tax law allows married couples to file their federal income tax return either jointly or separately in any given year. Taxpayers can use the Interactive Tax Assistant to determine which status is best for them.

Share this tip on social media -- #IRSTaxTip: Taxpayers should include tax plans in their wedding plans